- Coco: I had no expectations when I walked into the theater with my two nieces. And then at the end I was annoyed by how dusty the theater had become. “Remember me…”
- Get Out: The oddest twist on Meet The Parents I’ve yet come across.
- Dunkirk: I had to see this a second time to fully understand what director Chris Nolan was trying to do here. Glad I did.
- Call Me By Your Name: a.k.a., Brokeback Villa.Yes, I got squeamish during that scene near the end, but there’s no denying this is an excellent movie. You just know Timothy Chalameet thought he might be able to earn a Best Supporting Actor totem off that final grief scene.
- Molly’s Game: For us, it just edges out Ladybird. Not Sorkin’s best, but still not bad.
Also liked but not loved: “The Post,” “Darkest Hour.” Meh on “The Shape of Water,” which won Best Picture. Loathed “Three Billboards.”