by John Walters
This Week’s Sign Of The Apocalypse*
*The judges will also accept “Golden Girl”
Sitting here thinking how many times this Martha Stewart SI swimsuit cover has been shared on pickleball courts coast to coast already today. Stewart, 81, becomes the oldest swimsuit cover in SI history and also, let’s face it, lands right in the middle of the magazine’s target demographic these days.
Sad reality: Stewart is 81, which means she’s already survived longer than SI probably will.
Last night in Toronto, in the midst of an at-bat and just before smoting (smiting?) his second home run of the game, Aaron Judge was caught by the camera stealing a glance toward… what, exactly? The Blue Jay broadcast duo went on a “I don’t want to make unsubstantiated allegations, BUT…” rant, but really, in the age of Pitch.com, what advantage might Judge have gained?
Perhaps the Blue Jay hurler was tipping his pitches beforehand and someone in the Yankee dugout was onto it and telling Judge to look at him for a signal, but if so, that’s all part of the game. It’s not as if anyone was banging on a trash can. Judge, meanwhile, said he was distracted by Yankee chatter in the dugout considering it was the 8th inning and the Bombers were ahead 6-0 (or was someone in the Yankee dugout holding up the latest issue of SI?)
By the way, Aaron Judge homered in his first plate appearance of the season, then had five home runs in his next 125 plate appearances (one every 20 PAs), and now has four homers in his past 15. Someone is heating up.
- Name the three MLB teams on which Bo Jackson played.
- Name two Friends characters who never lived together (either in the course of the program or in the backstory).
- True-False: Italy and Croatia share a land border.
- For more than 30 years, two schools were members of what is now known as the Pac-12 (but was not at the time). Those two schools, neither of which are based in Los Angeles, are no longer part of the conference. Name them.
- What U.S. city has the most bridges?
1. Royals, Angels, White Sox
2. I was raising kids during the reign of Friends. Ask me some questions about Full House. I saw much more of that one.
3. No clue. I’ll guess it’s False
4. Idaho and Montana
The ones you knew, you were correct. Very impressive!
2. Ross and Phoebe?
3. Close but no they don’t share a border
4. College sports are my weakness. Pass
5. Pittsburgh but could be NY?
We will accept Ross and Phoebe.
Others: Monica and Joey
Chandler and Rachel
1. Royals, White Sox, Angels
3. False. As you said, Close but they do not share a border.
4. Idaho and Montana (cap tip to TJ)
Years ago there was a series of online articles re: conference realignment and that’s where I learned the Idaho/Montana connection. Worth revisiting if you have interest in the topic : https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2013/1/10/3859328/a-brief-history-of-conference-realignment-part-1-in-the-beginning
I know you said you will no longer be writing about investing here (VERY bummed to have read that BTW), but PLEEEEEEZZZE tell me you still own your NVDA?!
134-bagger…. TO THE MOON! 🙂 🙂
I told my younger sister last week that the “projected payment plan” for our eventual long term care is BACK ON TRACK! And I’m thinking AI ROBOTS will be doing some if not most of the “care” in Assisted Living/nursing homes by then (25-30 years). Ironic. 😉
I still own NVDA. I found that some people didn’t like taking investing advice from a guy who also includes a PayPal address for readers to contribute.
In the past four years I’ve had my single-best year and my second-worst. It’s all been a learning experience.